COVID-19: Latest Canada Immigration News & FAQs

Last updated: 16 June 2022


This CanadaVisa page provides you with the latest information on travel-related measures and how the coronavirus pandemic affects Canada's immigration system.

The following FAQs aim to give you information on how Canada's current measure regarding COVID-19 may affect you.

About CanadaVisa and Cohen Immigration Law

Frequently Asked Questions 

    To verify if you are allowed to enter Canada at this time, you may use this government tool.

    The following are vaccines currently approved in Canada:

    • AstraZeneca COVISHIELD
    • Bharat Biotech
    • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson);
    • Medicago Covifenz
    • Moderna
    • Novavax
    • Pfizer-BioNTech
    • Sinopharm;
    • Sinovac.

    It is important to note that all travelers to Canada are still required to use ArriveCAN (mobile app or website) to provide mandatory travel information within 72 hours of arrival in Canada and/or prior to boarding an aircraft or cruise ship to Canada. This information includes contact and travel information, vaccination information and proof of vaccination (if applicable).

    As of February 28, 2022, international passenger flights are allowed to land at all Canadian airports that are designated by the Canada Border Services Agency to receive international passenger flights.

    IRCC has provided the following guidance on the recommended travel documentation that exempted individuals should carry with them when traveling to Canada:

    Immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents:

    Documentation demonstrating their immediate family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status, such as a:

    • Canadian passport
    • Canadian citizenship proof such as a citizenship certificate, card, or provincial birth certificate
    • Canadian permanent resident card
    • Canadian permanent resident travel document
    • Canadian citizens are encouraged to travel with a valid Canadian passport, however they may travel to Canada on a visa-exempt foreign passport upon receiving a confirmation email from IRCC approving special authorization

    To demonstrate their relationship to that immediate family members, exempt individuals should carry documentation such as a:

    • Marriage certificate or common-law status certificate
    • Birth certificate
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence for the family class
    • Other proof showing an immediate family connection such as correspondence from IRCC showing a spousal sponsorship application is being processed, or proof of a shared residential address)

    COPR holders:

    Holders of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) are exempt from the travel restrictions and can self-identify to airlines by presenting:

    • Permanent resident visa, or
    • A COPR document

    About CanadaVisa and Cohen Immigration Law

    Cohen Immigration Law is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with over 45 years of experience. Cohen Immigration Law features over 60 immigration lawyers, paralegals, and professionals who are dedicated to helping you immigrate to Canada.

    Cohen Immigration Law possesses expertise across the spectrum of Canadian immigration including permanent residence, work permits, study permits, citizenship, and inadmissibility.

    Cohen Immigration Law is here to help you throughout the coronavirus pandemic. Cohen Immigration Law understands the hardship that the pandemic is causing and aims to alleviate any stress you may be encountering during your Canadian immigration process. was founded by the late Attorney David Cohen (1946-2021) as the online presence of Cohen Immigration Law. Since its launch in 1994, CanadaVisa has grown into one of the globe's most trusted resources on Canadian immigration. 

    Skilled Worker Assistance

    Find out if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada through one of the country's over 100 skilled worker options.

    Assess me

    Family Sponsorship Assistance

    See if you are eligible to sponsor a loved one, or be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

    Assess me

    Other Immigration Enquiries

    Contact us about work permits, study permits, business immigration, citizenship, and inadmissibility.

    Contact us

    Memberships of the Cohen Immigration Law Immigration Law Firm